Bone-in bourbon ribeyes
Makes 3 servings
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup bourbon whiskey
1/2 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons Texas (or KY) honey
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3 (1-inch) bone-in ribeyes
1. Pour water, bourbon, soy sauce, honey, dry mustard and garlic powder into large zip-top bag. Seal bag and lay flat. Shake to dissolve any granules, mixing ingredients.
2. Add steaks to bag. Refrigerate overnight, or for at least 6 hours, turning twice.
3. Remove from fridge about an hour before grilling. Turn after 30 minutes. Remove steak and discard marinade.
4. Grill about 10 minutes per side, or until internal temperature is 140-145 degrees. Remove from grill, and cover steaks for about 10 minutes before serving.
Serve as steaks, or slice thinly across the grain before serving.
Note: Recipe tested with Garrison Brothers Texas Straight Bourbon Whiskey.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 470 calories (56 percent calories from fat), 29 grams fat, 215 milligrams cholesterol, 460 milligrams sodium, 2 grams carbohydrates, 0 grams dietary fiber, 46 grams protein.
— Dan Garrison
Texas bourbon cake with bourbon glaze
Makes 16 servings
Sliced Marcona almonds (or chopped pecans or almonds), for sprinkling in pan
1 pound softened butter
3 cups sugar, divided
8 large eggs, at room temperature and separated
3 cups bourbon whiskey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
3 cups cake flour
1 cup powdered sugar
6 tablespoons whole milk
6 tablespoons bourbon whiskey
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Butter 10-inch tube pan well and sprinkle with sliced Marcona almonds.
3. Cream butter and 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Combine bourbon, vanilla and almond extract. Add alternately with flour to butter mixture until well-mixed.
5. Beat egg whites with remaining 1 cup sugar until stiff but not dry. Fold into batter.
6. Pour batter in prepared pan and bake about 1 1/2 hours.
7. Invert pan on wire rack to cool completely before removing cake. Glaze if desired. Serve thinly sliced.
For glaze: Combine powdered sugar, milk and whiskey, and whisk together until smooth. Drizzle over warm cake.
Note: Garrison suggests another option for topping this cake. Warm brown sugar bourbon glaze: In 2-quart saucepan, heat 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar and 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat until bubbly, about 3 minutes, stirring often. Remove saucepan from heat. With wire whisk, beat in 2 tablespoons water, 1/3 cup bourbon and 1/3 cup powdered sugar until mixture is smooth. Immediately pour glaze over top of cooled cake, letting it run down sides. Allow glaze to set before serving.
Nutritional analysis per serving: 560 calories (43 percent calories from fat), 27 grams fat, 170 milligrams cholesterol, 40 milligrams sodium, 66 grams carbohydrates, 1 gram dietary fiber, 6 grams protein.
— Nancy Garrison